Saturday, January 10, 2009

Calling all teachers or anyone else that can help!

In case you havn't been following my blogs, Ethen started a new school in Corpus. Very different from the Maine school he attended. He has done well on the reading portion, scored a 97 (only missed one question). Our delema is the math. He is in the 3rd grade and apparently in Texas they have finished teaching multiplication and division. In Maine they hadn't introduced this yet. There school year is different, so I kind of think they were going to introduce this in the next few months. At any rate we don't want him to struggle in Math. Math is one of his favorite subjects. SO ANY OF YOU TEACHERS or anyone else have any suggestions that would work to catch him up for those INFAMOUS TASK TESTS.

3 comments:

Sara the crazy red headed girl said...

flash cards work or i have a sheet my mom made for me to lean them she made several copies and i just would do them over and over. she started with the ones all the way to twelves. if u like the sheet idea i can email it to you. or maybe see if the sylvan learning center could help.

Dewey Hafta Academy said...

You could try one of these two programs:

http://www.timestales.com/

http://www.citycreek.com/

I've only used the first one (it's cheaper), with my son a few years ago. He loved it and really did learn all his times tables in one day. I'm getting ready to start it with my youngest . . . assuming I can find where I stored it!

Also, do you know how to cast 9s? Put your hands out in front of you, palms to the floor and fingers spread. Number your fingers from 1-10, starting with your left pinkie (your left pinkie is 1 and your right pinkie is 10). Now, say you want to find the answer to 9x3. Fold down finger #3 (your left middle finger). What do you see to the left of it? 2 fingers. What do you see to the right of it? 7 fingers. 9x3 is 27. It only works for 9s, but it works for all of them (except for 9x11 and 9x12, of course).

I hope this helps a little. I'll let you know if I anything else comes to mind, but I've been out of the classroom for too many years and don't remember many tricks!

kdp said...

there are many ways you can help him. one of the easiest ways is to help him skip count. 3,6,9,12,15 and so on.

also there are so many fun computer interactive web sites that he can go on. one of them is www.math facts cafe.com

they also have music cds to help him learn if he loves music. also you can go on to my teacher website for additional sites.

go to www.friscoisd.org and go to the parent site and go to 4th grade page and there will all sorts of websites for him.

i hope this helps.