What happened to the SKY!!!!! Just like the title says we are not in Texas. We are in NEW ORLEANS. As we were driving to the hotel and got into the city of New Orleans I was totally AMAZED at the size of the buildings. They are HUGE to say the least. Kind of sad as I couldn't see the sky like you can in Texas. I am however sitting in my bedroom on the 11th floor overlooking the Mississippi (had to sing the song to spell it right, you teachers would understand that) River, watching the barges go by. What fun. Right now at this very moment a tug boat is passing by. I have concluded that I love the water and wish I lived by the water.
We had lunch with someone John works with who we met at the airport who also happens to be here for the conference. Very interesting as he ordered his beer and we ordered our tea and diet coke. He was rather entertained by my amazement of things. The windows in this reaustarnt were, i'm not kidding, like a garage door. You can sit in the courtyard and order from the other side as well as in the reaustarant. Food was really good.... costly, but good. He commented "You don't get out much do you". To which I commented, have you ever been to San Angelo? His response was no. But that got me to thinking. I don't travel much and wish I could. I want to see different things and experience different cultures. My dream when John retires is to have a travel trailer and travel. We will see. At the price of gas these days who knows.
Today, I think I will venture out on my own and check out the shops at Canal Place. Right across the street from where I am. They have a Saks Fifth Avenue. I wonder what I could afford to buy there? Hmmm
I might add that this hotel I have to pay for internet. How crazy is that. 10.95 a day. They do have wireless downstairs, but sometimes you just don't want to get dressed to go down 11 floors with the laptop. Besides I wouldn't get to watch the boats as i blog.
It's kind of strange, because for a tourist place there are no tourist here. I would have expected the place to be filled with people, like in Baltimore, but there is hardly anyone on the streets walking. Maybe it is the time of the year.
Signing off from New Orleans, have a great day.
2 comments:
Have a wonderful time in NO - but get yourselves home quickly!!!
Oh, how fun!
Hint: don't ride the trolley from the zoo to the French Quarter if there is even a chance of rain! PM and I did that once -- it started raining, the whole city flooded, and the trolleys had to stop running, which stranded us in the French Quarter (which was all shut up by then, due to the flooding). It took us 8 very wet hours to get back to our car and another 3 hours to make the 1 hour drive home! (The forecast had been for a 10% chance of "afternoon showers".) ;-)
Have a great trip! New Orleans is fun!
Post a Comment